Wednesday, August 29, 2012

It's A Good Sign?

Today's flight from Minneapolis/St Paul to Chicago Midway was rather uneventful.  It's a short flight, but that doesn't matter for me, because no matter what, I must visit the lav.  (I know. T.M.I.)

There were a lot of signs in there, and it made me wonder what happened in ordered for the signs to get there. For example, we all know that if too many people take a shortcut across the lawn, it causes a "Keep off the grass" sign to appear.

So get a load, pardon the pun, of this sign. Morbid curiosity makes me wonder who was the Einstein that couldn't get themselves off the loo in order to flush, and what happened to that poor soul that didn't think things through of the cause-and-affect vacuum it would create if your cheeks were large enough to create a seal around the toilet seat.


This next one, I'm sure, came from the Flight Crew. I'll have to ask my friends who are flight attendants, but I'm sure they come in to find a water park of sorts where kids, and adults, make a mess and don't clean up after themselves.


Here's a sign at the Midway Airport elevators. I've done this trip so often, I can do it in my sleep. I'm sure the thinking was to make a sign for foreign tourists who don't read a lot of English. Whereas the signs in the airplane lavatory are lost to them, the one below, I know from personal experience of having to help out travelers who can read English, might as well be written in Klingon.  Or Greek.


You're suppose to equate the number on the left side of the picture to the button of the floor you want. However, and I know it's hard to see until you click on the picture, each picture is a Chicago landmark, and then you have descriptions to the right of that. People being visual and in a rush, only see the pictures. So what happens is someone says, "Does '3' take me to Buckingham Fountain?"  Not unless we've developed Transporter technology I don't know about, because then I wouldn't have to fly.  See, '3' takes you to 'P' or Daily/Hourly Parking. No one is ever going to say, "I left my car on Level Buckingham Fountain."

Apparently the simple and most routine of trips sometimes are the Devil's workshop for one traveler.

No comments: