Saturday, September 15, 2012

Nemo Found...In Stunning 3D

Some time ago, Disney/Pixar announced they would be releasing several classic and popular animated features in 3D, and 'Finding Nemo' was one of them.  I was hoping to catch it on opening day, but work prevented that, so I went to the first showing this morning. I know, why go spend a boatload of money (even at matinee prices) for a movie you have on DVD, Blu-ray and can be seen for free on TV? Let me tell you why.


The 3D treatment they gave 'Finding Nemo' doesn't have the usual barrage of stuff popping off the screen towards you. Now, you can feel the depth and breath of the ocean as the Pixar animators had intended. You actually feel like you are transported into the coral reefs, the EAC (East Australian Current, Dude!), and 42 Wallaby Way, Sydney. It's almost the same feeling I had earlier this summer when I walked into Cars Land for the first time at Disney's California Adventure. It's like walking right into the movie.

Of course before the movie, we were treated with seeing 'Partysaurus Rex', a Pixar animated short. One word: Hilarious! It was worth the price of admission just to see that!







At the dentist, I'm always shy about asking for the Disney stickers I see for the kids. Today, I saw the special 3D glasses for kids. So I asked the guy taking tickets if I could trade my adult pair for those. He told me I could, but they wouldn't fit over my glasses. Noticing my shirt, he offered, "Why don't you take both pair" with a wink, which said to me, "Use and return the adult pair, but pocket the kiddie pair." I asked if he didn't mind, and he just shrugged his shoulders.






Now I see I have to make sure I remember which pair are the ones for using out in public and which will go on my Walt Disney Classics Collection Pixar shelf!

By the way, get ready this December for another Disney/Pixar 3D makeover: Monsters, Inc. Let me tell you this, I will camp out if I have to to see this one. In the previews, the scene when Mike, Sulley and Boo find the room with all the doors is amazing! (That's as close as I can get to Mike's coloring) I will be willing to pay full price just to see that scene in 3D!


No comments: