Friday, September 21, 2012

Jule's Bistro: A Jewel That's Not For The Birds

I have to tell you about a favorite restaurant my friend Gina helped me discover earlier this year. The name is Jule's Bistro, and the food is fantastic! The service is outstanding too, which makes Jule's Bistro a win/win for me. Don't believe, read the review in the Star Tribune.  You can also read my reviews on Yelp.

But here's the real reason for this blog post. Gina and I had just walked into Jule's Bistro, when we saw this little boy under 10, looking at these 'Worry Birds'. His mother was sitting at a nearby table.


I saw the boy playing with the birds, and then overheard him say to his mother, "I have to take a 'Big Bird'!" The mother had a look of horror on her face, because even though it was obvious the family has a code word for "Dropping the kids off at the pool", I knew exactly what the kid meant. The mother quickly paid the bill and whisked her child out of the restaurant.

Gina hadn't heard what the kid had said, and only saw the mother's reaction, so after I dropped a load of details, we had a long belly laugh. Big Bird will now be added to my vocabulary, but I have to wonder what other Sesame Street character can be used as a colorful and descriptive metaphor. Count? Snuffleupagus? "Dropping the kids off on Sesame Street" just doesn't work.

[Follow up]

This is exactly what I was afraid of. One of my friends posted this on Facebook, and I just howled when I read it. She asked an innocent question, but in light of my lunch last week, my mind went south.

2 comments:

Gina said...

I will never look at Big Bird the same again. Thanks for the laughs!!

Timon said...

I hear you. I just updated this post with another picture. Sesame Street will never be the same!