Thursday, September 20, 2012

iOS 6 Maps: A Tale of Two Cities?

Of course I love the iPhone. In fact, I have two: one for personal use and one for work.

Before you inform me that I could have one phone do it all, I know that. However, when I hired into my current job, one rule they had was that if you were to leave the company, they would keep your cell phone number. I've had my personal cell phone number for years, so I'm not about to give it up.

Fast forward a couple of years, and now the policy has been rewritten as we're paying for and ordering our own mobile phones. I could have dumped the second phone, but I tell you what. At nights, weekends and certainly on vacations, the work phone gets turned off or left at home. Because really, what marketing issue could be that important that it can't wait? (Apparently my coworkers can come up with a list of things that they think are, but in the grand scheme of things, those issues are not.)

But I digress. Back to the new iPhone 5. I can't wait for my contract to be up in a couple of weeks so I can order the new phone. I timed it just right to avoid the first onslaught of people waning the phone and then be disappointed because of a delay in shipping. This way, I should be able to get my new phone almost as soon as I order it.

By now, we've all heard or read the pros and cons of the iPhone 5. Hopefully this major con will be fixed in the weeks ahead, because it's major. In fact, I've held off from upgrading my iPhones, iTouch and iPad to iOS6 because of the maps feature. How can one little thing like that be the source of so much controversy? Well, for those of us who travel a lot or must trust reliable maps to navigate unfamiliar cities, this is a huge problem.

Below is a screenshot of part of the review by Mashable, a totally trustworthy source when it comes to technology. I bring to your attention part of the article that, of course, has significance to me. There's a link below the image to the full article.

Sadly, the images I was going to grab of the Twitter screenshots have been removed from the article, perhaps at the request of Twitter. They were funny! But after doing a quick search, I did fine one image, which is also below, along with another one that I found humorous.









No comments: