Thursday, August 8, 2013

Right On Time

Proud. That's how I'd sum up this post. I'm proud of two of my Disneyland friends.

First, a little back story. The Ink & Paint Cel program, which is very popular and that I love at the Walt Disney World Resort, has finally made its way to the Disneyland Resort. The first work being released by the 'West Side' is so appropriate, Uncle Walt would be very proud, too.

Entitled, Right on Time, the Main Street Train Station sets the stage for a hand-painted Conductor Mickey with Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck and Goofy as part of the background.


I'll get back to the piece in a bit. The information came out, and because this was the first release for Disneyland, the program still has a few bumps to work out. Take a look at entries #6 and #8 on The Disney Parks Blog and you'll see a familiar name.

I made a comment that they deleted, because I mentioned one artist by name, and that is my friend Todd. They want to give all the artist equal recognition, and I get that. So I can call out Todd here. Todd, great job and thank you so much for contribution to this wonderful piece!


Above is a close-up of the postcard autographed by the artists, Eric Scales, Dave Smith, Charles Landholm, and Todd Wiesenhutter.

So, given that I have several of the these cels from Walt Disney World, I had to have the very first cel from Disneyland. If you did go to The Disney Parks Blog, you'll see I was disappointed that this program couldn't offer the same options as the one in Florida. I actually received a phone call and had a long discussion with a Cast Member about how they are sorry the two programs aren't the same, and yet they should be. But that's when my other friend, Pat, came to my rescue.

Pat was one of the first people who befriended me and took me under her wing when I started working at Disneyland. She has been a true friend of my family for many years. With one message, Pat worked her magic and well, look at the wall in my office.


(That empty spot with Mickey's head is where a pin should go, but they don't offer that yet at Disneyland. Hopefully they will in the future!)

This is why I'm proud. Of course it's a little bit about the piece. But what it's really about is now every time when I look at Right On Time, I think about Todd and Pat, as well as the fun times we had working in Tomorrowland many years ago. After all, isn't that what it's really about?
(I say yes!)

Support these artists and the program, so we can see more works in the future. To read more about the new Ink & Paint program and Right On Time, click here.

No comments: