Thursday, August 1, 2013

Lucky 13

Just like my time with Disney, working at American Express Financial Advisors (AEFA) allowed me to meet so many great people.

As a corporate trainer and performance manager, I had to balance having fun in the classroom with being the role-model and first leader these new cadets had at the Company. Originally the training sequence was almost three months long. (Yikes!) Eventually, it was refined and scaled back to about six weeks.

I saw many people come and go. Having the ones not being able to pass the Series 6 Exam after two attempts and being let go was tough. But I always gave the same message to each one of my trainees: I failed the Series 6 on my first attempt, and was able to pass on the second try. If I could do it, so can you.

Sure, I was responsible for giving all these people new knowledge about mutual funds and certificates, but in return they gave back something to me. They gave their best to fit into the corporate structure and became, what I call, great brand ambassadors for the Company.

The Company's name has changed from AEFA to Amerprise, and while I have moved on, some of my former trainees have remained loyal to the Company.  One such class still gets together every year to celebrate their anniversary with the Company.  And they are nice enough to invite me back to help them celebrate.

13 years ago, I was the performance manager and trainer for these fine group of people. Today I consider them my friends. Happy 13th Anniversary, Leslie, Eric, Kevin, Micah, and Melissa. You still do me proud!


No comments: