Wednesday, December 24, 2014

The Stockings Were Hung...So Were The Ornaments

Like many people, I have more Christmas decorations than room to display them all. But that means I can rotate what I put up each year. That allows me to see old, dear "friends" from Christmases Past. For example, take this ornament (not literally).


This one was given out to Disney Cast Members at the annual Disney Family Christmas Party. In 1989, we weren't as politically correct yet and had to say, "Holiday". Anyway, at these parties, the focus truly was on the Disney family. Cast Members from all parts of the Company (Park, Studio, Corporate, etc.) would come together at Disneyland to celebrate. In the years I worked at Disneyland, this is the only ornament I can remember that was given out, so it is very special. 

Then there is this one. 


I know it's a little hard to see and it looks shaky, but that's because I used Panorama to capture as much of the ornament as I could.  Let's see if this one is any better. 


This ornament commemorates the opening of EPCOT in 1982. EPCOT is my favorite of the (currently) four Parks that make up Walt Disney World, but I wouldn't get to experience it for my first time until January 11-17, 1988. I went with a group of my Tomorrowland friends and we had a blast! Thankfully they still had this ornament available, and I was able to remember that trip and EPCOT all in ornament. 


Not to mention everyone's favorite, Figment! Oh, and in case you are curious about the other side of the ornament...


In 1999, I had the opportunity to take my parents to Walt Disney World for their first trip to FL. After only knowing Disneyland, they really enjoyed seeing the "other" place, and like me, they enjoyed EPCOT the most. 

While we have fun memories of all four Parks, this next ornament helps me remember what was then Disney's MGM Studios. They enjoyed seeing the house front of 'The Golden Girls', which now is gone. So Jessica holds a special memory for me of that trip, and she sits on the mantel with her special Mouse-shaped holder.


I picked up a number of ornaments last month when I went to Walt Disney World to celebrate my 50th birthday. Do I have a favorite? It's hard to say at this point, but maybe one will win out over time. That sometimes happens when you reflect on the past. Or is that just a Figment of my Imagination?


As Christmas 2014 approaches, the stockings are hung by the chimney with care, but Santa has already given me my presents as I look over my decorations and reflect on fond memories. 


No comments: