Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Disney (Not So) Infinity

It's like I've been sucker-punched in the stomach. I thought I hadn't read it correctly. I had trouble finding an original article or announcement, but with each article I skimmed, the reality sunk in: Disney has discontinued Disney Infinity.

My first reaction was, "What am I going to do? All the hours I've been playing, and money invested. All for not?" Then another reality quickly settled in: 300 people are going to lose their jobs.

Disney blamed failing earnings and sales in the game not being where they were. But I think, as many other people do, this is just another blow to the franchise from the poorly managed budget for Shanghai Disneyland.

I honestly am numb. I'm on the road and away from my PS3 and PS4, so I can't even play a game just to console myself. No pun intended. I'm one of the biggest Disney supporters out there (Yes, we all say that). But I truly am disappointed in Disney this time around. This reminds me of some things from the past when I worked for Disney where certain people got greedy, they spread the Company too thinly, and they didn't learn from the past. It's such a shame. Disney Infinity was a good revenue stream for the Company. I don't have children, so as an 'adult' over 50, this one way to get my Disney fix since I'm landlocked in the Midwest (for now) and can't go to the Parks like other people on a regular basis.

The first sentence by John Blackburn assumes we 'may' have heard the news, and as a writer, one should never make that assumption. Especially when the news is not good news.

Here is the link to the "official" announcement. At least we can continue to play and replay the game for now. I guess I'll have to switch over to another game to consume my free time. I haven't really given Star Wars Battlefront the full attention I need. Now I can.



No comments: