Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Shake Your Body Baby, Do the Conga

It was my lucky trip!

Most of my friends know I love Gloria Estefan. And my Disney friends know that I love eating at Bongos Cuban Cafe at Downtown Disney in Orlando.

So when I found out that our hotel was close to the Bongos Cuban Cafe in Miami as well as Larios On The Beach, another one of Gloria's restaurants (yes, we're on a first-name basis), I was thrilled and pretty much told the Management team that we would be eating at one of the restaurants.

Since we've been putting in some long days, I opted for going to Larios On The Beach, since it was less than a mile from the Loews. Thinking we should walk instead of taking a cab, I schlepped the group down Ocean Drive past many an outdoor dining establishment. We even walked pasted a rather well-endowed mannequin. Since kids may be stopping by this site, you'll have to email me to request seeing those pictures!

Like having a bunch of kids saying, "Are we there yet?", we finally made it to our destination, with me arriving in one piece. I told the group that they were in for a treat, and they sure were pleasantly surprised.

The best part of the meal, besides everything from the Mojitos to the dessert, was when Dalyce ordered Cuban bread with Chimichurri sauces. Our waiter gave us the recipe, which I found online and have below, if you want to try it at home.

And the super nice lady at the counter gave me a magnet, along with the three glasses we were able to take home as part of our Mojito purchase, to help me commemorate this trip.

Oh, the picture of menu was a memento, too! (Even though our CEO said it looked like a toilet seat!)

Check out the South Beach location and menu!

http://www.bongoscubancafe.com/www/

Chimichurri Recipe

Ingredients
1 cup firmly packed fresh flat-leaf parsley, trimmed of thick stems
3-4 garlic cloves
2 Tbsps fresh oregano leaves (can sub 2 teaspoons dried oregano)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 Tbsp red or white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 Tbsp sugar

1 Finely chop the parsley, fresh oregano, and garlic (or process in a food processor several pulses). Place in a small bowl.

2 Stir in the olive oil, vinegar, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Adjust seasonings.

Serve immediately or refrigerate. If chilled, return to room temperature before serving. Can keep for a day or two.

Serves 4.

No comments: