Saturday, June 1, 2013

Red Cow: It's Simply Mad!

Finally we have a nice weekend in Minnesota again! Well, it wasn't perfect, but mostly it was. This is the time of the year when we try to forget about winter and head outdoors. And especially this weekend, because it's time for the annual Edina Art Fair.

But before I get to that, I'm going to start off with a restaurant review. Usually I save those for Yelp, but on the way to the art fair, I finally was able to try a place that I've been wanting to go to for months, and they've only been open for three months.

Ever since the 1900's, America has been obsessed with hamburgers. A burger is a burger, right? Wrong! Gauge my waistline and you will know that I'm an expert when it comes to dining. Years of practice you know.
What do you see? My coworker told me what he saw, and let's just say it's not close to what it is supposed to represent!

Red Cow is a neighborhood gem that is not your typical burger joint. I wouldn't call it upscale, but it certainly isn't McDonald's either. I keep wanting to call it Mad Cow; obviously I watched too much news in the 90's. Red Cow uses some 'non-traditional' meats for their burgers, some of which you may have tried, like turkey or bison, and others you may not have had, like elk and lamb.

I went for the lamb burger, which came with mint jelly and jalapeƱo cream cheese. At first you may wrinkle your nose at that, but it was one of the best burgers I've had, next to an In-N-Out Double Double of course. Since my doctor wants me to cut back on the fries, I decided to order the Coleslaw. Usually I'm not a Coleslaw fan, but this was homemade and was so fresh! Very tasty! And if you don't want a burger they have plenty of other sandwiches, salads and more. I have to go back and try the Scotch Egg, which is one of my faves.


Now speaking of homemade, and I'm working backwards here, I started with a bowl of the Beef Barley soup. You can totally taste that it's made from scratch and not out of a can or bag. It came with some crackers that reminded me of Wheat Thins (in a very good way), but I couldn't tell if they were made in-house or not. They were good either way.


 For those of you with deeper pockets, you may enjoy this 007 Special. I just got a kick out of the description. If you are a drinker, they have a very respectable beer and wine list.

If you are a Minnesotan, you probably know Woullet Bakery, which is located next to the Red Cow. Rather than try to compete with Woullet, they feature some of the bakery's items for desserts. Probably a wise decision until Red Cow establishes themselves.

The service was fantastic, which added to the dining experience. I've given you plenty of links to the menu in this post, but you can check out my Yelp review if you want to read more. Be sure to follow me on Yelp, too!

Well, I had such a fun weekend at the Edina Art Fair, starting out with a meal at Red Cow, I've decided to split up my blog posts.



No comments: