Friday, June 7, 2013

Happy National Doughnut/Donut Day!


Today is National Doughnut Day.  We're doing our part at work to help celebrate.


Is it 'donut' or 'doughnut'?  I guess it can go either way. I can tell you that the word brings back some funny memories for my family. You see, when my parents first immigrated to the United States back in the 50's from the Netherlands, they had to learn the English language. Many of us take that for granted, but anyone who has learned a second language knows how English doesn't follow some rules that other languages do (i.e. With German,  the verb always comes last in subordinate clauses.) But I digress.

When my parents came to the States, they had never heard of this fried confectionery that breaks the resistance of even the most powerful dieters. Mom and Dad walked up to Winchell's and, according to the words painted on the enormous pastry outside of the establishment, ordered a 'doughnut' (pronounced 'duffnut').  The cashier, was confused a moment, and then politely corrected my parents and told them it was a 'doughnut'.  Think about it. Tough. Though. Rough. Bough. How do you explain to someone learning English when to use which?  Food for thought.

Speaking of which, Happy National Doughnut/Donut Day! Now go do something about it.


No comments: